Science shows taking at least 20 minutes from your day to connect with nature will significantly lower your stress hormone levels. That’s according to a study published by “Frontiers in Psychology,” which found that a prescription of “nature pills” is a low-cost and effective treatment for improved mental health.
“We know that spending time in nature reduces stress, but until now it was unclear how much is enough, how often to do it, or even what kind of nature experience will benefit us,” says Dr. MaryCarol Hunter, an Associate Professor at the University of Michigan and lead author of this research. “Our study shows that for the greatest payoff, in terms of efficiently lowering levels of the stress hormone cortisol, you should spend 20 to 30 minutes sitting or walking in a place that provides you with a sense of nature.”
GET YOUR DAILY DOSE AT ICNC
- Enjoy miles of trails through 210 acres of riparian forests, maple sugarbush, tallgrass prairies and oak savannas. Nearby Věčný Woods has an additional 28 acres of undeveloped woodlands. Enjoy hiking, bird watching, snowshoeing, and more while exploring land in various stages of ecological restoration.
- Stop inside our Amazing Space — a Living Building Challenge Petal Certified building, making it one of the most sustainable buildings in the world (one of just 31 that has earned the prestigious certification)! We’d be delighted to give you a tour & show all the ways this place is as AMAZING as the name implies.
- You can’t miss our in-floor Indian Creek Exhibit winding through our exhibit hall. This newly-opened exhibit took 5 years of careful planning & creation to come to fruition. And today, finally, people of all ages and abilities can enjoy the magic & wonder beneath the surface of our namesake, Indian Creek. Don’t forget to say “hi” to our painted turtles, Squiggles, Squish and Squirt in the fountain!
- Visit our public program calendar & sign up for our e-newsletter to learn more about upcoming programs and events! There’s always something fun going on at the Nature Center.
There are many ways to support our mission to create Champions of Nature:
- Become a member.
- Make a tax-deductible donation or become an ICNC Sustainer!
- Volunteer — we could always use a helping hand!
- Take a friend on a hike. We always love seeing new faces on our trails.
- Spread the word! We want to connect as many people as possible to nature so that they, too, can get their daily dose.
OUR MISSION & VISION
ICNC’s mission is to promote a sustainable future through environmental education, providing leadership in land protection and restoration and encouraging responsible interaction with nature. We create Champions of Nature. By building connections to nature for people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds through nature-based education, programming and other opportunities to engage with the outdoors, we’re breeding understanding and passion for the natural world, which is critical to the future of our environment. People who are passionate about nature will work to protect it.