Monarch Fest will look a little different this year — instead of our usual in-person event, we’ll be offering curbside caterpillar adoptions July 11 & 12! Caterpillar kits will be free — only ONE caterpillar per family (while supplies last) — but donations are welcomed.
* You MUST register & attend a presentation to be eligible to adopt a caterpillar. *
Registration is now FULL
Here's how it will work:
- Register for a virtual presentation beginning MONDAY, JUNE 22 AT NOON (registration will remain open until July 8).
- Presentations will take place at two different times on Saturday, July 11 via Zoom. Time slots will be first-come, first-served. We have a limited number of caterpillars, so we recommend registering early.
- ICNC staff will email with a Zoom link for the presentation AND your assigned pick-up time on the afternoon of July 8. If you do not see this email by the morning of July 9, please first check your spam folder before emailing email@example.com. For your safety and the safety of others, you will not be able to choose your pick up time. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Attend a virtual presentation, where one of our naturalists will lead you through how to care for your caterpillar and explain the importance of pollinators.
- Presentations (9:00 or 10:30 AM) will be held over Zoom and will be the EXACT same so you only need to attend one.
- ONLY USE ONE DEVICE per family as there are limited spaces in the zoom meeting.
- We will adopt out ONE CATERPILLAR PER FAMILY while supplies last. Registering for a presentation will not guarantee a caterpillar (it’s nature and nothing is a guarantee).
- Make sure you have a viable milkweed source to feed your caterpillar. Monarchs MUST have milkweed to survive. We will not adopt caterpillars to people without milkweed available and we will NOT be able to supply milkweed for you. A caterpillar will eat approximately one full common milkweed plant worth of leaves during its life. So, about 10 large common milkweed leaves should be enough.
- If you do not yet have milkweed, you will need to plant some this year so that you can get a caterpillar in the future. If you want to order milkweed plugs or seeds, you can do so through local nurseries or online. Our gift shop also carries seeds, however Amazing Space is currently still not open to the public.
Don’t have milkweed to support a caterpillar?
Didn’t receive a caterpillar this year?
July 11 & 12, 2020
Free caterpillar kits — one per family!
Registration is now FULL
Monarch committee members: Shelley Kamp, Emily Zimmerman, Jan Aiels, Patty Ankrum, Roberta Lympus, Susan and David Anderson
Monarch Research Project, Girl Scout Junior Troop 5477, STEAM On & Monarchs in Eastern Iowa