Indian Creek Nature Center’s mission has always been to create a more sustainable future. When we set out to build our new Amazing Space building, we doubled down on this commitment by taking on the Living Building Challenge. This means our building is net zero energy, net zero water, uses all environmentally sustainable materials, and more. Amazing Space is one of the most environmentally sustainable buildings in the country, so what’s next? One goal. Two words. Zero waste.
Did you know, according to Eco-Cycle Solutions, the way we produce, consume, and dispose of our products and our food accounts for 42% of all US greenhouse gas emissions? As innovative change makers, we want to start the journey towards a zero-waste lifestyle at Indian Creek Nature Center.
As we begin this journey, we want to stress that going zero waste does NOT happen in one day. “The path to zero waste is never-ending” – Lauren Singer, trash is for tossers. That being said, we have tips on how you can start the process of going zero waste with us!
There are two important steps to consider when moving to zero waste: evaluate and transition. In the tips below we will identify a commonly used item and how you can transition that item into a more sustainable option.
Tips to a zero waste lifestyle:
- Bring a reusable bag and water bottle with you wherever you go
- Use a handkerchief instead of tissues
- Get rid of paper towels and use hand towels
- Ditch the plastic Tupperware for mason jars
- Try using a compostable bamboo toothbrush instead of the plastic
- Switch to cloth diapers instead of disposable diapers
- Say “No” to the plastic bags at the grocery store and take your own reusable bags and cloth produce bags
- Switch to a safety razor and get rid of the plastic throw aways
- Shop secondhand
- Grow your own food
There are many ways you can start the journey of going zero waste. It IS possible! Remember! It does not happen overnight, this is a process – one that we are just embarking on, and we hope you will learn from us along the way.
Follow us as we begin our journey to reach our next goal in innovation change toward a more sustainable life by following #ICNCJourneyToZeroWaste on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.