HOURS OF POSITION: 30-40 per week, some weekend and evening hours
STATUS: Temporary, Hourly; May 26-August 21
WAGE: $8.67 an hour
DATE REVISED: January 2020
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: Summer Naturalists work alongside our full-time, year-round Naturalists to plan and lead programs and activities for Indian Creek Nature Center Creek Camps. Summer Naturalists will gain valuable, practical experience in environmental education, program development and leadership.
- Assist and lead a variety of outdoor, experiential, science and nature based Creek Camp activities for children ages 4 to 12 years old.
- Prepare materials, set up facilities, and clean up after programs.
- Support the development of camp curriculum for a variety of camp ages and themes.
- Assist in camp management. Help set rules and boundaries for campers alongside coworkers.
- Set up tent and other gear needed for overnight campouts at the Nature Center. Help prepare dinner and breakfast for campers. Supervise campers overnight.
- Occasionally assist and lead youth, adult and public programs including but not limited to: summer group field trips, public programs, special events and birthday parties.
- Perform first aid if needed. Follow all policies and procedures set by the Nature Center. Ensure the safety of each camper.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Energetic, professional demeanor, positive attitude and motivation. Experience and passion working with children outdoors. Basic knowledge of local ecology, biology, and natural resources. Good written and oral communication and leadership skills are a must. Adept at identifying and solving problems. Ability to share and teach information. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds unassisted. Ability to stand, walk, sit, kneel, balance, climb, operate hand tools, work in a variety of weather conditions, and have the ability to follow written and oral instructions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Eighteen years or older with a high school diploma required. Love of working with and teaching children in the outdoors. Some college coursework in natural resources, biology, outdoor recreation, interpretation and/or environmental education preferred. Previous interpretation, environmental education or summer camp experience is preferred. Ability to pass a background check. First aid and CPR certified (can be completed upon hiring).
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, 3 references and your resume to Emily Roediger, email@example.com. Applications can be submitted until March 1st or until filled.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org