REPORTS TO: Naturalist
HOURS OF POSITION: 5-15 hours per week, Flexibility available
STATUS: Internship (unpaid), mid June-August
DATE REVISED: January 2020
This position will be responsible for monarch rearing, plant care and data collection for the interactive hoop house that is open to the public.
- Being trained on how to rear and care for monarch butterflies through their entire life cycle and multigenerational timelines
- Interacting with public as they visit the hoop house
- Weeding and mulching plants to ensure their survival
- Identify and remove aphids and other pests from the enclosures
- Keeping accurate records and log books
- Maintain a regular schedule for data collection and butterfly release
- Feed caterpillars and butterflies
- Other duties as assigned
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to follow data collection protocols
- Energetic, professional demeanor, positive attitude and motivation.
- Adept at identifying and solving problems.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Be able to work outside in various weather conditions and
- Apply knowledge and common sense to solve problems and/or achieve work objectives safely.
- Be enrolled in or have a degree in: landscape, ecology, parks and natural resources, environmental studies, or a related field. (Preferred)
- Willingness to learn, share and teach others about pollinators and the importance of native species.
- Basic understanding of pollinators and insects and their importance in an ecosystem.
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds unassisted.
To Apply: Send a letter of interest, your resume, and 3 references electronically to: email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org