POSITION TITLE: Etzel Sugar Grove Farm Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Land Stewardship
SUPERVISES: Seasonal staff
HOURS OF POSITION: Untraditional: Up to 7 days a week as needed to complete duties
STATUS: Regular, Full Time, Exempt
LOCATION: Etzel Sugar Grove Farm, Marion, Iowa
DATE REVISED: September 2021
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: The Etzel Sugar Grove Farm Manager will be responsible for the daily operations at Etzel Sugar Grove Farm, Lafayette Mill, and George Etzel Timber. The Farm Manager will oversee all agriculture operations, including but not limited to, livestock husbandry and management, beekeeping, crop production and distribution, farm and vehicle upkeep and maintenance, and agriculture-based education. Etzel Sugar Grove Farm Manager is accountable for safe and efficient farm operations.
- Adheres to and actively assists in the development of Etzel Sugar Grove Farm’s established goals, plans, and philosophies.
- Maintains organic certification and implements practices which are consistent with organic certification, permaculture, and regenerative agriculture.
- Plans and coordinates all growing and farming activities including, but not limited to, growing, harvesting, animal husbandry, integrated pest management, etc. Works with ICNC’s farm staff to delegate and assign work in each of these areas.
- Manages all aspects of ICNC’s apiary, including installation and monitoring of bees, regular maintenance, and harvest. Serves as the lead for ICNC’s beekeeping education program overseeing the beekeeping class, field days, and other bee education.
- Participates in and supports other agricultural education programs including, but not limited to, urban chickens and gardening.
- Prepares and distributes crops, ensuring profitability and integration into the broader supply chain.
- Raises and cares for organic chicken flock and egg production. Along with farm staff, tends to their daily needs, including egg harvesting, coop cleanliness, and slaughter.
- Maintains positive relationships with neighbors, volunteers, staff, and community members. Serves as the chief representative of Sugar Grove Farm.
- Coordinates volunteers to effectively and efficiently complete tasks. Maintains a positive attitude and appropriate working relationship at all times with volunteers and others.
- Maintains all equipment in working order. Coordinates and performs regularly scheduled and preventative maintenance.
- Ensures security of all Sugar Grove property and facilities by performing visual security checks, dealing with difficult persons, and ensuring all ICNC property and belongings are accounted for.
- Maintains facilities in good working order and with a great appearance.
- Develops, manages, and reviews budgets for all assigned areas. Meets targets for both income and expenses.
- Performs job in a safe manner at all times. Ensures those around him/her are practicing safe procedures.
- Ensures compliance with all organization policies and procedures in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Maintains current knowledge of development in areas of responsibility. Participates in state, local, and national organizations, conferences, and workshops as appropriate.
- Assists in writing grants and securing funding for programs and projects, as needed.
- Performs other duties as directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Belief in the Nature Center’s mission and a healthy appreciation for the outdoors. Represents ICNC in the most positive manner with all people, both personally and professionally. Independent worker. Self-motivated. Innovative and bold. Critical thinker. Ability to manage animal husbandry with a wide variety of animals. Ability to work with bees and all aspects of managing ICNC’s apiary. Ability to safely operate and maintain light and heavy machinery. Understanding of agriculture and farming practices. Ability to teach a variety of guests with varied demographics (age, ability, experience level, etc) Ability to accomplish tasks in all weather conditions.
GENERAL PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES: Position involves working in an outdoor environment in varied weather conditions (67-100%) and frequent sitting and standing in an office setting (34-66%). Constant (67-100%) walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, pushing, pulling, reaching, standing, grasping, and finger dexterity. Frequent (34-66%) talking and listening to people in person or over the telephone. Viewing computer screen and other types of close visual work occasionally (10-33%). Ability to lift and carry 100 pounds frequently (10-33%). May frequently (34-66%) be required to travel off-site to complete duties.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree required or a minimum of four years of direct agriculture experience in lieu of a degree. Must have intermediate to advanced beekeeping knowledge and have actively maintained beehives in the past. Must have valid Iowa driver’s license and experience operating machinery including, but not limited to, chainsaws, tractor, mower, and skid/track loader. Must provide proof of coverage and maintain personal automobile insurance coverage, including liability. Direct experience in an agriculture setting required. Organic farming experience preferred. Must be willing to live on-site and work all hours of the day, as needed to complete job.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com