Parade of Prairies
Saturday, July 21, 7:30 AM-1 PM
Indian Creek Nature Center’s Inaugural Parade of Prairies will showcase local landowner’s native landscapes. Participants will tour five high quality native prairie plantings in various stages of restoration. This event will highlight the variety of prairies in our region, including what can be done in residential neighborhoods as well as on larger acreages.
Parade of Prairies will be a celebration of the art and beauty of native landscapes and their integral role in a healthy environment.This event will make prairie plantings accessible to all – no matter the size of your property. Education will focus on how to start on any scale, available local resources, and problem solving. Meet property owners and land managers to discuss their choices and results.
Meet at the Nature Center to board a shuttle for the tour. Lunch will be included at the Nature Center. Pre-registration required. Cost: $45.
- Kathleen and Tom Aller
- Cathy and Marc Gullickson
- Karen and Bob Hoyt
- Janelle and George McClain
- Sandy and Brandt Worley
- Sally Stephenson and Kevin Collins
Indian Creek Nature Center’s Director of Land Stewardship, Jean Wiedenheft, will be the featured speaker for this event. Jean Wiedenheft started as a volunteer at the Nature Center, helping with scout workshops and spreading wood chips on the trails. She’s been a full-time employee since 2001, sharing her enthusiasm for nature with volunteers and visitors. She enjoys horseback riding, beekeeping and walking in the woods.
Day of Details:
- You are welcome to join us inside Amazing Space for a cup of coffee or tea from 7:30-7:50 AM. Please bring your own reusable mug with lid.
- The shuttle will be boarding at 7:50 AM and leaving at 8:00 AM.
- There will be water at two of the prairie sites.
- Please remember to wear comfortable and sturdy shoes. Sunscreen, bug spray and a hat are recommended.
- The shuttle returns back to the Indian Creek Nature Center at noon for lunch and a presentation. After the presentation there will be an optional tour of the Nature Center prairie.