INDIAN CREEK NATURE CENTER
POSITION TITLE: Trail Builder
REPORTS TO: Trail Manager
SUPERVISES: Not Applicable
HOURS OF POSITION: 32 hours per week from September 2021 through December 2022. Start and end dates negotiable.
CLASSIFICATION: Part-Time, Temporary, $12.50 per hour
LOCATION: Indian Creek Nature Center, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
DATE REVISED: August 2021
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: The trail builder works to restore Indian Creek Nature Center’s trail system from derecho storm damage. This includes building new trails and rerouting existing trails. The position also works cooperatively with other members of the team to assist with all aspects of ICNC’s outdoor land operations.
- Safely and efficiently carries out all duties. Uses all safety equipment and identifies risks as needed to improve safety.
- Assists with a variety of manual labor tasks required to maintain natural areas, including removing invasive species; cutting wood with a chainsaw or hand saw; and splitting, stacking, and moving wood. ● Assists with seasonal operations, including, but not limited to, maple syrup harvest and production, prescribed burning, mowing and trimming of the trails and grounds, general cleaning and repair, and snow removal.
- Minor facility maintenance and cleaning of equipment and workshop.
- Maintains trails by laying wood chips/gravel, backfilling spaces and improving grade, and tree trimming.
- Effectively communicates with team members by completing paper logs and verbally sharing relevant information.
- Performs other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Desire to work outdoors and keep habitats, grounds, and facilities maintained to a high standard. Energetic, professional demeanor, positive attitude, independent worker and self-motivated. Basic knowledge of outdoor skills, equipment and tool use, and safety practices, including, but not limited to, chainsaws, riding mowers, trimmers, hand and power tools, and utility vehicles. Applies knowledge and common sense to solve problems and/or achieve work objectives. Safely and properly utilizes all tools and machinery and maintains a high awareness of surroundings. Adept at identifying and solving problems and reacting quickly. Good oral and written communication skills and ability to share information. Experience in volunteer management. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds unassisted. Ability to work outdoors in good and inclement weather.
GENERAL PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES: Constant (67-100%) outdoor, labor intensive, physical work in a variety of weather conditions. Constant (67-100%) walking, stooping, kneeling, twisting, crouching, pushing and pulling. Constant (67-100%) reaching, standing, grasping, finger dexterity. Constant (67-100%) talking and listening to people in person or over the telephone. Occasionally (34-66%) viewing computer screens and other types of close visual work. Occasionally (34-66%) lifting and carrying 50 pounds. Occasionally (34-66%) operating mechanical machinery including climbing to mount equipment, pushing, pulling, and grasping with hands and fingers, using feet and legs to push pedals, and ability to react quickly. May occasionally (10-33%) be required to travel off-site to complete duties.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High school degree or GED required. Chainsaw experience required. Must have a valid Iowa driver’s license and provide proof of coverage and maintain personal automobile insurance coverage, including liability.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
To apply for this job please visit indiancreeknaturecenter.org..