Etzel Sugar Grove Farm
REPORTS TO: Farm Manager
HOURS OF POSITION: May – August; 36 hours per week, 12 weeks, 428 hours total, $10/hour
STATUS: Temporary, Hourly
DATE REVISED: January 2019
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: Foster connections between humans and the environment through regenerative farming, educational tours, and community supported agriculture. The Seasonal Farm Technician will be instrumental in establishing and maintaining our organic permaculture operation in its inaugural year. The Permaculture Technician Intern works under the direction of the Farm Manager to ensure the plants, trees, shrubs, and livestock thrive, and conducts research to develop future programs and marketing plans.
ESSENTIAL LEARNING AREAS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Learn about, plant and maintain permaculture trees, shrubs, vegetables, prairie and crops
- Regularly weed and water trees, shrubs, vegetables
- Learn about livestock breeds and care for livestock as appropriate
- Learn about and help maintain fences, tree guards, and other structures.
- Learn about the principles of woodland restoration and practice techniques as directed
- Collects soil, water, and plant samples as directed for documentation
- Harvests and packages crops as directed
- Learn about apiaries and honeybee health
- Maintains equipment in good working order; notifies supervisor if there is a problem
- Performs job in a safe manner at all times, wears appropriate PPE
- Learn about community partnerships
- Research marketability of crops
- Learn and practice basic equipment skills, including chainsaw, trailer, tractor, riding mower, weedwacker, as well as hand tools associated with farming
- Performs other duties as directed
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Belief in the Nature Center’s mission and a healthy appreciation for the outdoors and regenerative agriculture. Ability to learn tasks, follow directions and apply knowledge to solve problems and achieve work objectives safely. Independent worker. Self-motivated. Basic understanding of basic sustainable agriculture, livestock husbandry, or gardening. Ability to accomplish tasks in all weather conditions.
GENERAL PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES: Position involves working in an outdoor environment in varied weather conditions (67-100%) . Constant (67-100%) walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, pushing, pulling, reaching, standing, grasping, and finger dexterity. Ability to lift and carry 100 pounds frequently (10-33%).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Currently enrolled in college program related to agriculture, ecology, or related field. Minimum 3 month experience working in a farm, garden, ecological, or related setting. Must have valid Iowa driver’s license and some equipment experience. Must provide proof of coverage and maintain personal automobile insurance coverage, including liability.
TO APPLY: Email resume, cover letter and three references to email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org