Indian Creek Nature Center
For additional information about this position, click here.
POSITION TITLE: Etzel Sugar Grove Farm Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Land Stewardship
SUPERVISES: Seasonal Farm Labor
HOURS OF POSITION: Untraditional: 7 days a week as needed to complete duties; Required to live on-site
STATUS: Full Time, Salaried
DATE REVISED: January 2019
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: The Etzel Sugar Grove Farm Manager will be responsible for the daily operations at Etzel Sugar Grove Farm, Lafayette Mill, and George Etzel Timber. The Farm Manager will plan and oversee all agriculture operations, including but not limited to, livestock husbandry and management, crop production and distribution, and farm and vehicle upkeep and maintenance.
- Adheres to Sugar Grove Farm’s established goals, plans, and philosophies; makes recommendations to adjust these as necessary
- Maintains organic certification and implements practices which are consistent with organic certification, permaculture, and regenerative agriculture.
- Plans and coordinates all growing and farming activities including, but not limited to, growing, harvesting, animal husbandry, integrated pest management, etc.
- Prepares and distributes crops under approved organization plan ensuring profitability and integration into the broader supply chain.
- Raises and cares for livestock including, but not limited to, turkeys, ducks, chickens, cows, goats, and horses in a caring, healthy, and responsible manner.
- Maintains positive relationships with neighbors, volunteers, staff, and community members. Serves as the chief representative of Sugar Grove Farm.
- Coordinates volunteers to effectively and efficiently complete tasks. Maintains a positive attitude and appropriate working relationship at all times with volunteers and others.
- Maintains all equipment in working order. Coordinates and performs regularly scheduled and preventative maintenance.
- Ensures security of all Sugar Grove property and facilities by performing visual security checks, dealing with difficult persons, and ensuring all ICNC property and belongings are accounted for.
- Maintains facilities in good working order and with a great appearance.
- Develops, manages, and reviews budgets for all assigned areas. Meets targets for both income and expenses.
- Hires, trains, and manages assigned staff.
- Works closely with Rodale Scientists, Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation, and other partners to ensure research standards and documentation are met.
- Performs job in a safe manner at all times. Ensures those around them are practicing safe procedures.
- Ensures compliance with all organization policies and procedures in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Maintains current knowledge of development in areas of responsibility. Participates in state, local, and national organizations, conferences, and workshops as appropriate.
- Works with broader ICNC team to assist with special events, land projects, and educational programs for all of ICNC.
- Performs other duties as directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Belief in the Nature Center’s mission and a healthy appreciation for the outdoors. Understands and supports principles and philosophies surrounding regenerative, agricultural practices, organic growing, and permaculture. Represents ICNC in the most positive manner with all people, both personally and professionally. Independent worker. Self-motivated. Attention to detail and ability to strategically plan ahead are a must. Innovative and bold. Critical thinker. Ability to manage animal husbandry with a wide variety of animals. Ability to safely operate and maintain light and heavy machinery. Understanding of agriculture and farming practices. Ability to accomplish tasks in all weather conditions.
GENERAL PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES: Position involves working in an outdoor environment in varied weather conditions (67-100%) and frequent sitting and standing in an office setting (34-66%). Constant (67-100%) walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, pushing, pulling, reaching, standing, grasping, and finger dexterity. Frequent (34-66%) talking and listening to people in person or over the telephone. Viewing computer screen and other types of close visual work occasionally (10-33%). Ability to lift and carry 100 pounds frequently (10-33%). May frequently (34-66%) be required to travel off-site to complete duties.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree required. Minimum four years’ experience working in a farm setting or related experience. Must have valid Iowa driver’s license and experience operating heavy machinery similar to chainsaws, tractors, mowers, or skid loaders. Must provide proof of coverage and maintain personal automobile insurance coverage, including liability. Direct experience in an agriculture setting required. Organic farming experience preferred. Must be willing to live on-site and work all hours of the day, as needed to complete job.
TO APPLY: Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: cover letter, resume, portfolio of work (as applicable to the job description), references, and salary requirements.
Salary commensurate upon experience. Full benefits package including housing, flexible vacation and work schedule, health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement package, and Nature Center membership.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com